Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is basically an examination on the comprehensive understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Science.
Organising institute for GATE 2021 is IIT, Bombay.
The GATE score would reflect the relative performance level of the candidate in a particular subject, which is quantified based on the several years of examination data. Note that the GATE score is presently valid for THREE YEARS from the date of announcement of the results.
- PSU’s select candidates for personality test on the basis of GATE score.
- GATE score is necessary for admission to M. E./M. Tech. programs with MHRD scholarships.
- Candidates preparing for GATE are more suitable for jobs hence get better package.
- Preparation for GATE helps in improving the knowledge and understanding of engineering, and enhance the performance in semester examination.
In the past, several Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) have used GATE scores to shortlist the candidates for employment. A few such organizations are: Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL), Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL), National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL), Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and Power Grid
Corporation of India (PGCI).
Direct recruitment to Group A level posts in Central government, i.e., Senior Field Officer (Tele), Senior Research Officer (Crypto) and Senior Research Officer (S&T) in Cabinet Secretariat, Government of India, is now being carried out on the basis of GATE score. The details of the scheme of recruitment are normally published in National Newspapers/Employment News/Rozgar Samachar by the concerned authority.
Some other Government of India Organizations have also expressed their interest to utilize GATE 2020/21 score for their recruitment purpose.
All the candidates of engineering in the final year of their engineering degree and thereafter till they are searching a better job.
1. Bhaat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
2. Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
3. Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
4. National Fertilizers Ltd.
5. Neyveli Lignite Ltd.
6. NHPC Ltd.
7. NTPC Ltd.
8. Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd.
9. Vizag Steel Plant
10. GAIL (INDIA) Limited
11. Mineral Exploration Corporation Ltd.
Many other PSUs are also processing the MoU and these are in progress.
In the third or fourth semester, however a candidate may require longer or shorter duration depending on his/her knowledge level, capacity and will power.
HPCL, GAIL, BPCL, MECL, BARC, IOCL, BEL, NTPC, BHEL, NALCO, CONCOR, MECON, HEC etc.
Online applications are invited for GATE in September each year.
- VIT Vellore, BITS etc. conduct their own admission tests.
- NIT`s and State engineering colleges offer admission to candidates without GATE score, if seats are available after allotment to GATE qualified candidates.
The Objective of Admission cum Scholarship Test (AST) is to identify meritorious candidates and extend financial help to under privileged candidates.
Admission cum Scholarship Test (AST) is a test conducted by MEC once in every semester at two convenient dates. Candidates will be preferred for admission to MEC, if they appear in admission test. Candidates are awarded up to 100% scholarship (as free ship in MEC fee) based on their performance AST?
1. The candidates belonging to Mechanical Engineering (ME), Automobile Engineering (AuE) or Industrial Production (IP), who wish to prepare for GATE PSU IES in their respective streams.
2. Candidate willing to improve knowledge and understanding in their engineering branch.
AST is 1:30 hour test designed to judge the capability of the candidate to learn engineering. AST consist of total 70 questions with following break up.
- Basic Engineering skills – 50 questions
- Quantitative skills – 10 questions
- English – 10 questions
Yes. There is one third negative marking except in fill up type questions.
No. AST judges the ability to learn hence does not require special preparation.
For registration at AST the candidate is required to fill an application form, paste a recent passport size photograph along with an identity proof and registration fee for test i. e. Rs.200/- only till specified date. After he specified date fee would be Rs.200/- or Rs.500/-.
AST result is declared on the next day of the last AST.
Number of scholarships based on AST depends on availability of scholarship.
A candidate can appear at AST any number of times. However he has to pay more fee to appear in AST for successive attempts
All candidates from ME, IP, AuE streams except the candidates already registered in MEC classroom courses.