Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering(GATE) is an all-India examination administered and conducted in eight zones across the country jointly by the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and seven Indian Institutes of Technology on behalf of the National Coordinating Board – GATE, Department of Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), Government of India. Admission to post graduate programs with MHRD and some other government scholarship/assistantship at engineering colleges/institutes in the country are open to those who qualify through GATE. For more information visit http://www.gate.iisc.ernet.in/
The GATE score of a candidate reflects the relative performance level of a candidate. The score is used for admissions to various post-graduate programmes (eg. M.E., M.Tech, direct Ph.D.) in Indian higher education institutes with financial assistance provided by MHRD and other Government agencies. The score may also be used by Public sector units for employment screening purposes.
All the candidates of engineering in the final year of their engineering degree and thereafter till they are searching a better job.
- PSU’s select candidates for personality test on the basis of GATE score.
- GATE score is necessary for admission to M. E./M. Tech. programs with MHRD scholarships.
- Candidates preparing for GATE are more suitable for jobs hence get better package.
- Preparation for GATE helps in improving the knowledge and understanding of engineering, and enhance the performance in semester examination.
1. Bhaat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
2. Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd.
3. Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.
4. National Fertilizers Ltd.
5. Neyveli Lignite Ltd.
6. NHPC Ltd.
7. NTPC Ltd.
8. Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd.
9. Vizag Steel Plant
10. GAIL (INDIA) Limited
11. Mineral Exploration Corporation Ltd.
Many other PSUs are also processing the MoU and these are in progress.
In the third or fourth semester, however a candidate may require longer or shorter duration depending on his/her knowledge level, capacity and will power.
HPCL, GAIL, BPCL, MECL, BARC, IOCL, BEL, NTPC, BHEL, NALCO, CONCOR, MECON, HEC etc.
Online applications are invited for GATE in September each year.
- VIT Vellore, BITS etc. conduct their own admission tests.
- NIT`s and State engineering colleges offer admission to candidates without GATE score, if seats are available after allotment to GATE qualified candidates.
MEC is an institute to train ME, IP, AuE candidates for competitive examinations like GATE, PSU’s, Private Sector and Engineering Services Examination (IES).
All the candidates belonging to ME, IP, AuE streams, who wish to improve their knowledge and understanding of engineering.
In the present state of very tough competition conceptual clarity is needed for top ranks.
As conceptual clarity require time, it is recommended to join as early as possible.
- Students develop the interest in engineering.
- Candidates find the study enjoyable and understand concepts better.
- Learning becomes conceptual, smooth and burden free.
- Marked improvement in semester examination result.
- Success in GATE and other competitive examination.
- Excellent and satisfying jobs.
Candidates believing in miracles neither interested in engineering nor have the will power nor ready to work hard.
|Course||Duration||Date of Commencement||Suitable for admission in|
|Thorough Course||24 months||1st January||II, IV* or VI|
|Full Course||12 months||1st January||IV, VI* or VIII|
|Detailed Course||18 months||16th July||III, V* or VII|
|Compact Course||08 months||16th July||VII or Pass out|
|Comprehensive Capsule Course||35 Days||29th December||Those appearing in GATE in coming Feb.|
|Online Test Series||–||10th December||Those appearing in GATE in coming Feb.|
Please visit MEC for the purpose.
Focus (Final Test Series) or Comprehensive Capsule Course (CCC) is a 45 day crash course. The course brings out the best and boost the candidate’s performance in GATE.
Focus consists of
- 11 lectures covering the complete syllabus of GATE,
- 11 topic wise practice sheets,
- 13 class tests and 4 mock tests for GATE examination.
- Discussion of difficult question.
- Strategy and tactics for cracking GATE
Focus (Final Test Series)
- Help the candidate in systematic revision.
- Brings out conceptual clarity.
- Provide the candidate a set of 1000 selected questions.
- Help to Improve the GATE score.
- Provide a cooperative and competitive environment.
Focus (Final Test Series) for GATE commences in December every year.
MEC`s 45 days Comprehensive Capsule Course [CCC] to improve the performance of candidates in GATE examination has been a great success. There has been demand from outstation candidates for correspondence/online test series. OTS has been prepared in response to this need.
Online Test Series for GATE consist of 15 online test papers for GATE 2014 aspirants.
GATE syllabus has been divided into 13 parts, so there would be 13 topic wise tests and 2-3 full length mock tests.
OTS GATE will provide the candidate access to 1000 excellent questions on the pattern of GATE 2014. Solving these questions in a systematic manner will improve GATE 2014 score considerably.
OTS GATE is suitable for candidates who are unable to join MEC classroom courses or comprehensive capsule course.
The Objective of Admission cum Scholarship Test (AST) is to identify meritorious candidates and extend financial help to under privileged candidates.
Admission cum Scholarship Test (AST) is a test conducted by MEC once in every semester at two convenient dates. Candidates will be preferred for admission to MEC, if they appear in admission test. Candidates are awarded up to 80% scholarship (as free ship in MEC fee) based on their performance AST?
1. The candidates belonging to Mechanical Engineering (ME), Automobile Engineering (AuE) or Industrial Production (IP), who wish to prepare for GATE PSU IES in their respective streams.
2. Candidate willing to improve knowledge and understanding in their engineering branch.
AST is conducted at two convenient dates in every semester. The next AST date is 15th April.
AST is one hour test designed to judge the capability of the candidate to learn engineering. AST consist of total 70 questions with following break up.
- Basic Engineering skills – 50 questions
- Quantitative skills – 10 questions
- English – 10 questions
Yes. There is one third negative marking except in fill up type questions.
No. AST judges the ability to learn hence does not require special preparation.
For registration at AST the candidate is required to fill an application form, paste a recent passport size photograph along with an identity proof and registration fee for test i. e. Rs.100/- only till specified date. After he specified date fee would be Rs.200/- or Rs.500/-.
AST result is declared on the next day of the last AST.
Number of scholarships based on AST depends on availability of scholarship.
A candidate can appear at AST any number of times. However he has to pay more fee to appear in AST for successive attempts
All candidates from ME, IP, AuE streams except the candidates already registered in MEC classroom courses.